The Church of Christ Presbyterian

“Soon after Pearl Harbor, Fourth Church entered into a rather different ministry, which was not without controversy. A group of Japanese-Americans had been worshipping together in Chicago, but after the Pearl Harbor invasion, restrictions were placed on gatherings of Japanese-Americans. At the urging of [Harrison Ray] Anderson, [Pastor of Fourth from 1928-1961], the session invited them to meet in the John TImothy Stone Chapel at 2:00 on Sunday afternoons, and the invitation was gratefully accepted. “A long, long story could be written of the numerous times our church and her pastor were misunderstood because of protecting this little church.” Such misunderstandings and bad feelings existed both within and outside the church. Some remember the pastor himself keeping guard outside the chapel some Sunday afternoons as the Japanese-American worshippers arrived for their services.

“As more people of Japanese ancestry were moved to Chicago by government policies, the little congregation grew and moved to Fourth Church’s Westminster Chapel. As a result of the witness and nurture of Fourth Presbyterian, the originally non-denominational congregation was inspired to become a Presbyterian church and was accepted as a member of the Chicago presbytery early in 1947, with the name the Church of Christ (Japanese).

 

Selection from page 118, Chapter 7, “A Chicago Institution.”

“A Light in the City; The Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago” by Marilee Munger Scroogs

Copyright 1990 by The Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago

 

Leave a Public Comment

PC(USA) Seal

Home